It was an uphill battle to create her own place in the industry. With her burning passion and determination to play her best, she redeemed herself as one of the Kapoor’s who are considered as one of the most dominant dynasties that Bollywood has ever witnessed!
Karisma Kapoor: The first female Kapoor to make a career in Bollywood! From Prithviraj Kapoor to Rishi Kapoor, the Kapoor family has produced some of Bollywood’s most beloved stars. Karisma Kapoor is the first woman from the Kapoor family to venture into acting after generations of male superstars. She made her debut in 1991 with Prem Qaidi. Did you know that it was her grandfather Raj Kapoor that she wanted to work with and make her debut? Raj was directing Henna around the same time. The film starred his son, Rishi in the lead.
The gorgeous, Karisma Kapoor has acting in her blood. In one of her interviews, she said that “I am very grateful, thankful and fortunate to my audience and everyone. I have never taken my success for granted and I never will.” Look at this amount of confidence and love she has for herself and the place she is today. Karisma has got to the top of her career without any help from her family.
She also shares that her upbringing has always been normal and simple just like others. Karisma was not academically inclined as in an interview she says, “I was and am determined to give my 100% in everything I want to do. I also used to take part in all minor and major events that took place at my school. My mother was the one who motivated me throughout and guided me to pursue my passion.”
“I was also quite determined that yes this is what I always wanted to be, an actress. Not for glamour, money or fame but to pursue and dwell my interest into something meaningful and impactful. I am happy that after toiling my efforts, people have finally taken me seriously as an actress.”
Karisma Kapoor shares that her grandfather would be very proud to see her achieving so much love and appreciation. She says, ‘I did it on my own as there was no big banner to support me. Rather I didn’t use them for any such publicity. I have always tried to keep my grandfather’s name high and the RK banner high’.
Let us have a look at some of the unknown facts about the actress!
- Karisma has appeared in over 50 films to date and most of them are super hits. She also underwent a huge transformation in her looks and appeal over the years in her career. Overall these years of her acting career, she has emerged as a trendsetter. Karisma Kapoor has also given her major hits with Ajay Devgn and Govinda. Her Jodi with Govinda from Coolie No.1 and Hero no 1 was the best of the decade. During the phase, she was reigning as the Queen of Bollywood with back to back hits and many high-end endorsements.
- With films like Jeet and Raja Hindusthani, she also achieved recognition as an actress for playing such characters. Karisma Kapoor also has won the National Film Award for the film Dil Toh Pagal Hai (1997). She also won the Filmfare Award for Best Actress for Raja Hindustani (1996) and Fiza (2000). She won Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actress in Zubeidaa.
- Did you know that the charismatic star turned down the role of Tina in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai? She refused to play the role as she didn’t want to play side roles then. Rani Mukherji replaced her and the film was a huge success.
- Karisma Kapoor replaced Aishwarya Rai in Raja Hindustani. Aishwarya was preparing for Miss World since then. Raja Hindustani is also one of the biggest hits of Karisma’s career.
- Karisma had romantically involvements with Abhishek Bachchan. They even got engaged on the 60th birthday of Amitabh Bachchan’s birthday. The relationship also ended after four months of their engagement. Rumours also followed which highlighted that Abhishek was not established in his career and Karisma’s mother Babita’s interference in their relationship.
- Karisma tied knots with an industrialist, Sanjay Kapur. The couple have parted ways now.
Wishing Karisma Kapoor a very happy and prosperous 47th birthday! Kareena Kapoor Khan in an interview shares, ” My sister Karisma is a prime example of a woman who has always been relevant. From the time she debuted to when she took a break to when she resumed working, it makes me proud to know that she is my sister.”
Karisma Kapoor is one of the most successful and also popular actress of the ’90s who ruled the Hindi film industry for over a decade. She also makes acting a matter of her pride and loves everything about it. From seeing her family also involved in acting to creating her own brand name, Karisma Kapoor has really been the Queen of the ’90s and shall always remain as such!